Monument record BSE 136 - Town Defences: NW section (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8519 6441 (21m by 42m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
See Sax & Med for earlier town defence details. A wall is shown on Downing's 1740 map (S2), possibly fronting a depiction of the bank?, between the Northgate and St Andrew Street North. S of this the presumed line is shown as the front of a line of buildings (?). Warren's 1747 map (S3) is similar although showing less wall detail and having some variations. For excavated evidence of C17 wall see BSE 016 (S1). Elements of the (C17?) wall survive at TL 852 648 and possibly elsewhere.
For continuation to S see BSE 139.
- <S1> SSF23008 (No record type): West S E, PSIA, 32, 1970, 17-24.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2)(S3).
- <S2> SSF5360 (No record type): Downing A, A new and accurate plan of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1740.
- <S3> SSF22859 (No record type): Warren T, map, A Survey of the Ancient Borough of Bury St Edmunds, 1747.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 16 1996 12:00AM