Monument record BSE 140 - Friars Lane (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8569 6352 (883m by 468m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (0)
Possible line of LSax (& later) town defences between West Gate (BSE 066) and South Gate (BSE 064). William of Malmesbury quoted a tradition that Cnut (AD 1016-1035) had built a ditch round the town (S1)(R1).
See Med for details of later defences.
See BSE 139 for continuation to N & BSE 142 for possible line to E.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 16 1996 12:00AM