Monument record LWL 016 - Hanningfields Farm

Please read our .


Hanningfields Farm.


Grid reference Centred TL 8720 5422 (115m by 107m)
Map sheet TL85SE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Hanningfields Farm. Remains of moat.
A. Length of moat on W side of farmhouse is shown on the 1842 tithe map (S1) and the OS 1:10560 map of 1959, but since infilled. Probably shown on 1611 (S2) but photographic copy dark in this area.
B. Ponds flanking E & W sides of a rectangular area to the NE of the farmstead and shown as an orchard on 1:10560 OS map, 1959. Shown on 1842 tithe map but included under `Farm House and Yards' in the Apportionment. Possibly not shown of 1611 map, but that part of the photographic copy is dark (S2). Probably moated orchard.
1327 Lay Subsidy records Alicia de Hanigfeld also paying 9s tax in Lawshall. 1611 map records that the manors of Lawshall and `Henifeildes' had been `lately purchased' by Sir Henry Lee from Sir Robert Drury. In 1842 it was owned by the Dowager Lady Middleton but occupied by Daniel Good. Adjoins Hanningfields Green (see LWL 015).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Map: 1839. Lawshall Tithe Map and Apportionment. Lawshall Tithe Map & Apportionment, SRO (B) T33/1,2.
  • <S2> (No record type): Survey of the Manors of Lawshall and `Henifeilds' by Ralphe Treswell for Sir Henry Lee, 1611, SRO (B.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 19 1996 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.