Monument record FRK 058 - The Manor House (site of); The Village Hall; The Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6650 7202 (23m by 37m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
On the site of the Village Hall (opposite village shop) once stood `a weather-stained little cottage of very great age - quite unfit for habitation..... it was called the Manor House, but whether the name had been given to it in pleasantry or whether it had served the purpose (or was the remains?) of some manorial office it is difficult to determine' (S1). Med structure? No further details.
Note: The location of Burton/Burtyus manor (and its manor house) a sub-manor of Freckenham, owned by Simon Ffolkes in 1641, is unknown.
N.B. High probability of Burtons Manor House being 'Street Farm', North Street, which was in possession of Mrs Fanny Hand at Enclosure (1824), who claimed title to Lordship of Burtons Manor. the 'Manor House' above mentioned, if related to a manor at all, would probably be Beck or Bek Manor, which extended from the Isleham border (& into Isleham) to The Street.
- <S1> SSF3021 (No record type): Callard E, The Manor of Freckenham, 1924, 144.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 15 2012 11:30AM