Monument record BYG 023 - `Fields 33 & 36'; Longacre Green; Galleys Farm (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 674 552 (323m by 206m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BRADLEY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Fieldwalking survey by Haverhill District Archaeological Group. Field 33 (N of 36): light scatters of Med and PMed pottery over S half of field, `including flattened rim-sherds and bases in buff/grey sandy fabrics. Greater concentrations of the same pottery forms were noted along the southern field bondary, together with scatters of Post-Medieval building rubble' (S1).
Scatter surrounds N, W & S sides of Longacre Green - see BYG 005. Three farmsteads/houses are shown on the margins of the green on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S2). Area enclosed by circa 1837. Galley's Farm, on the S side of the green, shown in 1950s has now disappeared. Longacre Green Farm, on the N side of the green, is the only surviving building. For other sites around the green see BYG 022(?), 024 & 025.
Also Preh (on Field 36) & Med.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 6 1997 12:00AM