Monument record COK 031 - Kings (moated?) site
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 904 560 (149m by 107m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||COCKFIELD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Kings (moated?) site. Owned by King family in C15 when house and various buildings and 28 acres belonging to the Manor of Earls Hall recorded. Eventually purchased by Hervey family of Pepper's Hall (COK 004) in C18 when buildings were allowed to decay (S1). Three sides of rectilinear moat (west side missing) shown on 1880s OS map. L-shaped pond or moat and pond shown on 1: 10,000 and 1: 10,560 maps (S2)(S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF10590 (No record type): Lloyd, V.G.. Lloyd V G, documentary research, April 1997.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF12457 (No record type): OS, 1:10,000 and 1:10,560 maps, TL 95NW, 1979 & 1958.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL95NW(M).2, 1973.
- <S4> SSF50159 Bibliographic reference: Podd, S. 1995. Earthworks Reconnaissance in Suffolk. Rapid Identification Survey..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 10:34AM