Monument record BNG 010 - Medieval features, Church Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9685 7690 (111m by 137m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARNINGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1997: Documentary searched and trenched evaluation of plot directly opposite church (BNG 005). A shallow linear slot (with one Med sherd) and a small post hole, possibly from a (Med?) structure, and shallow rectangular pit were found along the plot frontage. Also found were two small circular pits (one with one Med sherd), and two post holes. There were no other significant finds in the evaluation trenches. Details in (S1). The documentary search suggested the site was unoccupied, apart from the (C19?) outbuildings of Church Farm, since at least 1542. Details in (S1).
1987: Monitoring visits. Footing trenches showed no evidence of archaeology. Access road stripped and two features revealed, a large sub rectangular pit and a field boundary ditch (5 EMed sherds in the spoil) (S2).
1998: A large pit filled with burnt daub and a field boundary were revealed during the monitoring of a housing-development access road. Five sherds of early medieval pottery were recovered from machine spoil. (S3).
- <S1> SSF51027 Unpublished document: Gill, D., and Breen, A, M.. 1997. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Church Road, Barningham.
- <S2> SSF51406 Unpublished document: Gill, D.. 1998. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Church Road, Barningham.
- <S3> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (3), p.365.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2017 1:55PM