Monument record WBG 026 - Scatter of Medieval late medieval transitional pottery at 22-24 Chapel Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2710 4925 (58m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||WOODBRIDGE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
May 1998: Monitoring of construction works located substantial assemblage of Late medieval transitional wares and early post medieval pottery. Some sherds of imported stoneware from Cologne/Frechen and Raeren/Aachen were also identifie from pits at the site. The assemblage suggests burial of rubbish during the 16th century and indicates that the floors laid above these contexts were no earlier than this date. Evidence that the existing buildings on the site were constructed post c.1600 with some evidence of activity prior to these. It is possible that Chapel Street may have run of a former defensive line to the town of Woodbridge (S1).
- <S1> SSF19697 Unpublished document: Anderson, S. & Newman, J.. 1999. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Chapel Street, Woodbridge. SAU, Newman J & Anderson S, SCCAS Report 99/20, May 1998, ill.
- FSF23147: POTTERY (16th century to 19th century - 1501 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- FSF25359: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF25360: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 14th century - 1000 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF41906: PEG TILE (16th century - 1500 AD? to 1599 AD?)
- FSF41907: BUCKLE (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF41908: ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF41909: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF41910: FLOOR TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF41911: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 13 2016 9:14AM