Monument record BCC 028 - Beccles Common; Golf Course
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4325 9084 (106m by 96m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BECCLES, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Aerial photograph (S1) clearly showing subsquare enclosure, of circa 50m sides with second outer enclosure of circa 100m sides. Suggestion of E-W bank/trackway along and beyond N edge of enclosure. On common/golf course so presumably showing earthwork shadow marks rather than cropmarks.
The features previously identified from S1 (S2) as a subsquare enclosure of circa 50m sides enclosed within a second enclosure of circa 100m sides, are interpreted here as non-archaeological in origin, probably modern features associated with the golf course on Beccles Common. The impression of enclosures was probably a temporary effect created by the treatment and maintenance of the course greens; this impression is not visible on any other photograph available to the survey (S3 -S5)
- <S1> SSF13016 (No record type): OS, AP, 66 03 078 & 098, 1966.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <M2> SSF46815 (No record type): APs: (S1).
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/66003 098-99 08-MAR-1966.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/79018 001 14-APR-1979.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/81109 144-5 29-SEP-1981.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/93382 025-6 13-AUG-1993.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2012 11:29AM