Monument record BXT 025 - Boxted Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 82864 50542 (955m by 1048m)|
|Civil Parish||BOXTED, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Park shown on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk and on the Tithe Map of 1840 (S1). Park subsequently expanded to area shown on 1926 OS 1:2500 map. Access road to the church has been changed since 1840 and the old road shows as an earthwork in the park, as do some field boundaries relating to a pre-park landscape (S2). The walled garden to the east of the Hall was in existence by 1840. The large pond with an island at the south end of the park (called 'fishpond' on the OS map of 1926) is not shown on the 1840 map. 1840 map does however have a sketch of a pavilion or summerhouse on the north side of the drain to the north of the fishpond.
A Terrier of 1631 refers to 'the warren of conies' at 'church hill lying by to the church' (S3).
See also Boxted Hall - BXT 004.
- <S1> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Suffolk Record Office (Bury) T151, 1, 2.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Tracing of part of (S1).
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS, AP 89 11 07, March 1989.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Hervey A, 'Boxted Hall - Family of Poley', PSIA 3, No 3, 1863, 358-74.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2012 11:47AM