Monument record WLB 001 - Bowl Barrow on Tinkers Walks, 740m W of Eastwoodlodge Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4718 7481 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
One of two tumuli on Tinkers Walks S of railway near the road, "possibly Sax" (R3).
Scheduled 10 April 1970, together with WLB 002 (CRN 01863).
Visited as part of barrow survey 13/8/1976 - spread and outline a bit indistinct. Is damaged - there are a number of depressions around the edge and in the centre of the mound. Covered in bracken, height about 1.09m, diameter circa 25m (R2).
Visited by H Paterson on 24 April 1981 `barrow completely covered in dead bracken, very difficult to ascertain size or height. The holes noted in AM7 are still visible as depressions in the bracken. Visited site with (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). Barrow will remain as at present. Is close to car park. (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) feels that bracken cover disguising barrow shape is a good thing ...' (S1).
1991: Said to be maintained. (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), lives near and stops digging, metal detecting etc (S2).
1992?: `Visible as an earthen mound covering a circular area circa 22m in diameter and standing to a maximum height of 1.1m. Near the centre is an irregular hollow in the surface, measuring 4.5m x 4.5m by 0.8m deep, which marks the site of an old excavation. On the S & SE sides are two other more sharply defined rectangular holes, measuring 4.5m x 3m x 0.8m deep and 3m by 3m by 1m deep respectively (S1).
- <M1> SSF43315 (No record type): Barrow survey: photographs etc.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 268.
- <S2> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <M2> SSF43316 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R2> SSF5514 (No record type): EAA, Barrow survey.
- <R3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM47SE,.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 20 2022 1:25PM