Monument record WLN 003 - Round barrow W of Fen Covert, 305m S of Fen Cottage
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4533 7262 (49m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round barrow near Newdelight and Hinton walks, W of Fen Covert. Lies close to a path on heathland; is covered with bracken and has trees around the edge, bowl in good condition, 0.96m high and 22m in diameter. For further information please see barrow survey. May be the barrow referred to in DE Davy's 'Journal of Excursions 1823-1844' (manuscript) : circa 1825 'He (Robert Reeve of Lowestoft) showed me an urn lately taken out of the barrow at Hinton by Mr Miles'.
1981: A large barrow on unploughed heathland. Dug into on W side. Height up to 4ft 6ins, diameter 30yds (S2).
1985: Barrow height 1.75m and diameter approximately 20m (S2). 1991: Site is overgrown by silver birch wood and difficult to find (S3).
1992: `Situated on low-lying heathland to the W of Westwood Marshes. It is visible as an earthen mound standing to a height of circa 1m and covering a sub-circular area which measures 22m E-W by 25m N-S. In the NW edge of the mound a crescent-shaped hollow, measuring 9m by 6m, marks the site of an exploration, probably carried out early in the C19. The N side of the mound, the original diameter of which was about 22m, has been extended circa 3m by upcast from this excavation' (S2).
Shown on Sheet 47 Yarmouth and Dunwich map in 1837 (S4).
January 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The mound described above is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs (S5) and Lidar imagery (S6). It is possible to identify the site of the possible exploration, as described above, on the north-west edge of the mound on the Lidar imagery.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 14th January 2015.
- <S1> SSF19394 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1981.
- <M1> SSF44468 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 628.
- <M2> SSF44469 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R2> SSF5024 (No record type): Davy D E, Journal of Excursions 1823-1844, manuscript.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <R3> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S4> SSF23515 (No record type): Yarmouth & Dunwich map, sheet 47, 1837.
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/73321 V 142-143 16-JUN-1973 (EHA).
- <S6> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM4572 Environment Agency 30-NOV-2010 (2m DTM Digital).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF13847)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13621)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13102)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14560)
- Event - Interpretation: TM47SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22912)
Record last edited
Jul 20 2022 1:28PM