Monument record WLN 004 - Cropmark of medieval or post medieval windmill, possibly a post mill, to the west of Bridge Farm (previously interpreted as a ring ditch)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 471 708 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, single circle circa 20m diameter, with central pit showing, W of Bridge Farm (S1)(S2).
Circular cropmark, c 20m across, with a central cross-shaped feature, visible on 1973 aerial photographs (S3). This is likely to be the cropmark of a medieval or post medieval windmill, possibly a postmill. Historic maps show a number of mills in the Dunwich area from the early medieval period onwards, and this may be one of them. The features are less clearly visible on other aerial photographs from earlier in 1973 (S4). Approx 60m north-west of this feature is another similar, but more fragmentary cropmark, which may show the location of an earlier mill (see WLN 030).
- <S1> SSF18455 (No record type): SAU, AP AGD 03, 15 July 1977.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP AOT 15, undated.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP AOT 15; SAU AGD 03.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/73333 Frms030-031 23-Jun-1973.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/73321 Frms191-192 16-Jun-1973.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 10:39AM