Monument record ELV 050 - Boundary banks on west side of Elveden Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 79050 81720 (336m by 309m)|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
April 2002: visit noted earthwork bank, circa 7m wide and 0.5m high between TL 79070 81697 and TL 79186 81797 (GPS readings) and possibly continuing further to NE (notated map, Colin Pendleton). Parallel to parish and Warren boundaries.
Bank/s along parish and warren boundaries between Elveden and Wangford - extension on west side of main warren banks, ELV 024. Marked on various OS maps, shown as triangular block of woodland on OS 1st edition of 1836.
For main entry for Elveden Warren see ELV 039 and ELV 024 for earthwork bank.
2010 The Breckland Society survey The Warrens of Breckland recorded that perimeter banks survive along the western and northern boundaries (S2).
January 2019. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The triangular arrangement of parallel banks described above is visible as earthworks on imagery from a 2015 lidar survey (S3). The banks are presumably of post medieval date, although a medieval origin is also possible. It is not clear whether they represent an extension, contraction or subdivision of Elveden Warren. They are located at the meeting point between Elveden, Wangford (SHER WNG 025) and Brandon (SHER BRD 082) warrens, and therefore it is not clear precisely which banks belong to which warren, or even whether such a division is meaningful. The banks have been mapped and recorded as part of SHER ELV 039. As the lidar survey was flown relatively recently, it is probable that the earthwork still survives.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 18th January 2019.
- <S1> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 1st edition, 1836.
- <S2> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 20.
- <S3> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL78NE/78SE/77NE/88NW/88SW/88SE/87NW/87NE, Mapping Block 2: 'Brecks from Above' Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland NMP Project (ESF25814)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Identification Survey - Elveden Warren (Ref: ) (ESF18474)
- Event - Survey: Survey by The Breckland Society - The Warrens of Breckland (ESF26143)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2019 3:48PM