Monument record COG 020 - Abbas Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 90098 40407 (20m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT CORNARD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Abbas Hall, Great Cornard, was built in approximately 1289/90. Dendrochnologically dated by Martin Bridge. Very few of the samples taken had fewer than 60 years growth (S1). A floor was inserted in 1548/9 and a chimney circa 1580? - for discussion of dating following luminescence dating of 2 chimney bricks see (S3).
The aisled house was the home of the Steward of the Manor, owned by the Nunnery at West Malling, Kent.
2000: A number of the oaks used in the primary phase of the aisled hall retained complete sapwood, with two samples having bark still present on them. One was felled in the spring of AD 1289, the others in the autumn or winter AD 1289 - 90. This date accords well with stylistic evidence which had suggested a date of construction of the hall in the latter decades of the thirteenth century. A single timber from an inserted floor, thought on stylistic grounds to have been added in the sixteenth century, was felled in AD 1548 - 9. The cross-wing is thought to be sixteenth century, but is thought on architectural grounds to be later than the inserted floor, and therefore would appear to date from the latter half of that century, but was not dated dendrochronologically (S6).
2012: Heritage statement UEA.
1066 Manor of 3 carucates named Cornard held by Earl Marcar's mother.
1086 Manor of 3 carucates belonging to the king.
C12th Serlio de Comerthe owns.
1317 Disputed. Sold ? To convent of Malling in Kent, and belong to Roger de Gray. At an unknown date convent of the blessed Virgin West Malling owned?
1539-40 T. Danyell owns, linked to ACT.
1624 J. Brand owns linked to BXF, BSM, EDN, and PLS.
1643 J. Edlred owns, linked to Saxham.
1770 J. Sparrow owns, linked to WFG, and COL. (S7)
This parish has one sub manor - Great Greys and indicates that the manor or sub manor may have moved as COG 0025 is a moated site, large but not mentioned as being present any part of manor/hall complex. (S7)
- <S1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Walker Pam & John, 'Running Rings around Suffolk', SHBG, Eavesdropper, 21, Spring, 2002.
- <S2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Bridge M, website - http://members.aol.com/marbrdge, Feb 2003.
- <S3> SSF50274 Article in serial: Antrobus, A.. 2004. Luminescence Dating of Brick Chimneys. Vernacular Architecture 35: 21-31.
- <S4> SSF54322 Article in serial: Kathleen Sandell. 1975. Aisled halls in England and Wales.
- <S5> SSF54323 Article in serial: Kathleen Sandell. 1986. Aisled Halls in England and Wales.
- <S6> SSF54397 Unpublished document: Bridge, M.. 2000. Tree-ring Analysis of Timbers from Abbas Hall, Great Cornard.
- <S7> SSF58998 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Abbas Hall.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 10 2019 11:41AM