Monument record CHV 027 - Medieval tile kiln, brick kiln and later, house
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 78 59 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHEVINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Documentary evidence for large scale tile production from the 14th century and a kiln constructed on demesne land around 1417 (one batch of 10,000 tiles was manufactured in 1437 for Hargarave Hall). A tile house was added in 1420. Details in (S1).
Two possible locations for the kiln are suggested by Breen (S1). The first, 'Tylers' field, at TL 788606, was fieldwalked in 2005 (S2) with negative results. The second, at TL 784 595, on the edge of the former Broad Green, in now partly built over.
The documentary evidence of 1585, however, suggests 'Tylers Feilde' lay to the west of a wood called 'The Sleppe' . It seems possible that this is in the area of the present Jennison's Plantation, or even Ox Pasture Grove to the north. Both of these locations memain to be surveyed.
Statham also mentions an order for bricks from Chevington in 1430 by one of the Bury Abbots (S3).
Formerly recorded as CHV MISC
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Copy (S1, S2).
- <S1> SSF50170 Unpublished document: Breen AN, Draft documentary report : Chevington Tile Kiln Project, Ms, June 2004.
- <S2> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. Pendleton C (SCCAS), field report, Jan 2005, map.
- <S3> SSF54233 Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed. p13.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 15 2018 3:53PM