Monument record CHB 009 - Chedburgh Airfield

Please read our .

Summary

Chedburgh (2nd WW) airfield & associated buildings, opened 1942, closed 1946, site sold 1952.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 7920 5690 (1992m by 3236m)
Map sheet TL75NE
Civil Parish CHEDBURGH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish DEPDEN, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish REDE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Chedburgh (2nd WW) airfield & associated buildings, opened 1942, closed 1946, site sold 1952. Airfield mainly in Depden and Rede parishes, accommodation (Nissen huts) mainly in Chedburgh. Hangers now used for light industry. Airstrip used by crop sprayers in summer (S1).
For layout of circa 1945 see (S2).
Includes CHB 005 & 006 (areas of accommodation).

Taken from NRHE record:
A former military airfield, opened 1942, closed in 1952. By 1944 the airfield was equipped with three concrete runways; there were two T2 , three glider and one B1 type aircraft hangars, with temporary accomodation for personnel. It had been established as a temporary bomber base, used mainly by squadrons flying Short Stirling bomber aircraft until 1945 (214 and 620 squadrons, 1653 Conversion Unit) and later Avro Lancaster bombers (218 Squadron). After the war the Lancasters were deployed to ferry food supplies to liberated Holland. In 1945 Polish transport units 301 and 304 Squadrons used Chedburgh, until being disbanded in 1946. The site was disposed of in 1952. Occaisionally the airfield has been used by crop spraying aircraft. At least some of the aircraft hangars were still extant in 2000, in use for light industrial or agricultural purposes; the number of surving hangers and which of the above hangar types they belong to is not clear.

Chedburgh airfield, Suffolk, TL 790 570: opened 1942, closed in 1952. By 1944 the airfield was equipped with three concrete runways; there were two T2 , three glider and one B1 type aircraft hangars, with temporary accomodation for personnel. The source contains a thumb nail sketch map of the extent of the airfield.

Chedburgh airfield, Suffolk, TL 793 567. Located by the A143 south of the village of Chedburgh. The airfield was established as a temporary bomber base, used mainly by squadrons flying Short Stirling bomber aircraft until 1945 (214 and 620 squadrons, 1653 Conversion Unit) and later Avro Lancaster bombers (218 Squadron). After the war the Lancasters were deployed to ferry food supplies to liberated Holland. In 1945 Polish transport units 301 and 304 Squadrons used Chedburgh, until being disbanded in 1946. The site was disposed of in 1952. Occaisionally the airfield has been used by crop spraying aircraft. At least some of the aircraft hangars were still extant when the source was published in 2000, in use for light industrial or agricultural purposes. The source does not specify how many of what type have survived.

Airfield, (disused), centered at TL 793 567 depicted on OS sheet TL 75 NE.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History.
  • <S2> Photograph: Air Photographs. SCC, 'SuffolkHistoric88percent', digital scan of RAF APs, circa 1945.
  • <S3> Index: 1987. Military airfields in the British Isles 1939-1945.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 1 2021 12:23PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.