Monument record SOL 025 - Brick Yard (1837)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47973 96893 (603m by 515m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Brickworks, with associated kilns, drying sheds and a short canal link to River Waveney shown on 1880s and later OS map (S1). 'Brick yard' marked on 1837 OS map. Earlier maps not checked.
Early history unknown but operated by John Green 1805-1820; John Green (son) 1820-1844; John (or James) Green (nephew of John II) 1846-1849; Lucas Brothers 1849-1873; Daniel Knights 1874-1888; Henry D Knights 1892; Somerleyton Brick Co 1896-1916; Norfolk & Suffolk Brick Co 1922-1939. Closed 1939 (S2).
Mapped in HER to include areas depicted by OS and (former?) pitted area to N (shown as allotments on OS maps).
Also see 'Somerleyton Brickfields' by Audrey and Arnold Butler (1980)(not checked).
Brickfield Cottages are an important survival of the worker's cottages. Extent of below ground survival of brickworks structures unknown.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2010 3:35PM