Monument record FOS 028 - Old Rectory; Frostenden Lodge (1837)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47712 80650 (201m by 80m)|
|Civil Parish||FROSTENDEN, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Circular mound with rectangular building (gazebo or summerhouse?) on top and linear bulbous-ended pond in former pit mapped (in 1880s) in garden of former Rectory (presumably a secondary use as well over a Km from church). Probably garden features. Garden to rear (W) of Rectory shown with numerous trees.
Building gone by 1900s, pond no longer shown by 1920s. Mound & trees in eastern portion of garden no longer mapped, though trees extant up to 1999 (AP). Pond remapped but of oval form in 200?
Hodskinson's map (1783) indicates large house occupied by 'Roger Mainwaring Esq' (who probably occupied 'The Hermitage') (S1).
Appears to be named 'Frostenden Lodge' on OS 1st edition map of 1837, so possibly lodge to the Hermitage (a gentrified house,named Frostenden Cottage in 1837 (LB gd II, originally a C14 2-bay raised aisle hall).
Tithe and other early maps not checked.
- <S1> SSF50065 Map: J Hodskinson. 1783. The County of Suffolk Surveyed.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2008 2:23PM