Monument record SNP 003 - Church Common Round Barrows
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4030 5931 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||SNAPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Tumulus located on Church Common, S of A1094. OS first edition 1837 - 1840.
1862 : 5 1/2 feet high, highest of group (see also SNP 004 and SNP 007). Not excavated in 1862 (R1). Said to have been opened circa 1820 and again when OS visited site.
1972 : circa 15m in diameter, circa 1m high, overgrown with oak scrub and gorse (R2).
27 January 1977 : 15.5m diameter, 0.97m high, overgrown with large gorse and 3 small oak trees (R3).
East barrow is 4ft high and has a 60ft diameter; there is a ditch all around the barrow, but part appears to have been enlarged in modern times (S1).
1981: East barrow covered in gorse & bracken, ditch visible. West Barrow under crop, appears to be completely ploughed out (S1).
1984: A good metre high and approximately 20m in diameter. Ditch still there (S1).
- <M1> SSF37296 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF5007 (No record type): Davidson S, Procs of Soc of Antiquaries, 2nd series II, 1863, 177 - 182.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF37297 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM45NW1,.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <R3> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2010 2:52PM