Monument record SNP 004 - Church Common Round Barrows; Hachuring Field
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4018 5929 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SNAPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Tumulus (site of), located on Hachuring field, S of A1094. One of a group (see SNP 003, SNP 007). Shown extant on OS map 1:2500, 1887.
1972: no trace (R1).
21 January 1977 : No trace (R1)
1977 : Miss R Copinger-Hill saw it as dark green grass among pale grass (has photographs) see site file.
West Barrow is 1ft high and has a 30ft diameter; its N side is misshapen owing to a track running over it (S1).
1981: Appears to be completely ploughed out (S1).
1984: No sign (S1).
1991: Said to be ploughed and at risk. One barrow ploughed out long ago, another is hollow having been robbed centuries ago. Saxon burial site N of A1094 not scheduled, being studied professionally with the help of EH (S2).
- <M1> SSF43204 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM45NW1,.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <R2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <M3> SSF43206 (No record type): SAM file:.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2010 2:54PM