Monument record IXW 059 - The Paddock

Please read our .


Large moated site W of St Mary's church, shown on 1880s (S1) and existing OS maps.


Grid reference Centred TL 9307 7041 (130m by 192m)
Map sheet TL97SW


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Large moated site W of St Mary's church (IXW 010), shown on 1880s (S1), having standing water to N, W and S and earthworks to E, and existing (earthworks no longer shown and 4 houses built since 1980s in interior) OS maps.
The remains of 'Ixworth Abbey' stand to the west, St Mary's church and churchyard to the east and 'The Priory' to the south.
Probably site of Le Blund's manorial hall (13th century), which passed to Ixworth Priory (IXW 012) in 1377 (S2).
Also mapped in HER as part of IXW 012.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. West Suffolk.
  • <S1> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 6 2009 11:50AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.