Monument record BTM 079 - Site of Warrener's lodge and possible rabbit warren

Please read our .

Summary

Site of Warrener's lodge marked on Bryants 1824 Map of Suffolk and a possible rabbit warren suggested by documentary evidence from 1754 - extent unknown. Previously recorded as BTM MISC.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 726 741 (141m by 154m)
Map sheet TL77SW
Civil Parish BARTON MILLS, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

2010: Warrens of Breckland survey identified a possible rabbit warren suggested by documentary evidence from 1754. The exact extent of the warren is not know. The only reference is to an 80-acre warren of which the ownership is passed from John Holderness to Sir William Bunbury in 1754.
Also named lodge in 1812. Earliest know date 1754 (ref deed of ownership WSROB Er8/452/69).
A "warren house" is noted on the Highway Diversion Order of January 1812 (WSROB Q/SH/72) and is also marked on Bryant's 1824 Map. Two modern dwellings now occupy the site (S1).

It is mapped and named as 'Warren House' on 1836 OS 1st edition map (defined wooded areas are mapped on this and later maps adjoining to the west and north of the road which may be the warren boundaries).


Previously recorded as BTM MISC

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. p12.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Mason, A.. 2009. The Archaeology of the Warrens of Thetford Forest.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

May 8 2018 1:36PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.