Monument record BRD 186 - Undated bank, Compartment 4121, High Lodge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8034 8304 (54m by 131m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD? (at some time))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD? (at some time))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- RABBIT WARREN? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- RABBIT WARREN? (Unknown date)
- PARISH BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- PARISH BOUNDARY? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Slight bank, circa 3m wide and 30cm high. Parallel to ride. Continues to south, but not visible to north (S1).
Could be associated with ride construction or with warren banks (STN 035) to east. Details in (S1).
August 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The undated bank described above is visible on imagery from a recent lidar survey (S2), albeit approximately 9m to the east of the originally recorded location. The lidar imagery also shows it extending to the south, and for a considerable distance to the north. The northern extension in particular has the appearance of a relatively modern feature, more likely to be associated with the maintenance of the forest compartment or ride, rather than the warren banks and parish boundary to the east (SHER STN 035).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 24th August 2017.
- <S1> SSF50360 Unpublished document: Bales, E. and Pendleton, C.. 2001. Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey for Forest Enterprise. p20, map 18.
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2018 4:21PM