Monument record IPS 441 - Unicorn House, Foundation Street, Ipswich, (IAS 4708).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1665 4433 (27m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
2004: Monitoring of footings trenches below a deep basement (1.8m below ground level) revealed several features with Thetford Ware pottery (Late Saxon). Although to the immediate north of Blackfriars' church no evidence for the abbey complex was observed at this depth (S1). See also (S2, S3).
- <S1> SSF50409 Unpublished document: Meredith, J.. 2005. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Unicorn House, Foundation Street, Ipswich, IPS 441.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 4708.
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 4708.
- FSF34268: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF34269: ANIMAL REMAINS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF40308: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF40309: SLAG (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF40310: OYSTER SHELL (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 18 2017 10:32AM