Building record LMD 185 - Barn & outbuilding, Rose and Crown Inn, Long Melford
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8780 4911 (12m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
The 'barn' at the grade II-listed Rose and Crown Inn is a mid-19th century red-brick stable and hay loft with an attached range of single-storied sheds to the rear. The site lies in the hamlet of Bridge Street at the northern end of Long Melford parish, and occupies a triangular promontory between the old course of the street to the north (which forms the boundary with Alpheton parish) and the 20th century by-pass to the east and south (now the A134). The Rose and Crown is known to have existed since at least 1757, when it was mentioned by the same name in a manorial rental, but the present building is not shown on the tithe map of 1839 and is a replacement of circa 1850 (but is incorrectly dated to the early-19th century in the Schedule of Listed Buildings).
The stable is a rare example surviving in almost original form. The roof was replaced in the 20th C. The sheds to the rear, likely contemporary, contain the remains of a vehicle shed and a recently enclosed area, which may have previously formed an open sided shelter.
The group of buildings are historically interesting, but not enough to merit listing in their own right.
- <1> SSF50670 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2010. Archaeological Record: Barn & outbuilding, Rose and Crown Inn, Long Melford.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2019 1:45PM