Building record WLV 051 - Kitchen Gardens, Woolverstone Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1882 3845 (252m by 304m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOLVERSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
The hall was completed in 1776 and the kitchen garden is probably contemporary. The corner of the north wall contains an iron gateway c.1770 - 1800. The south walled slip garden contains various 'houses' including a brick and slated mushroom house under a vaulted brick roof. A further walled slip garden is found to the E side of the central garden. The E wall (probably c. 1770) was adapted c 1870 to support the rear of the dairy yard building complex. There is also a range of sheds consisting of an office, feed store, coal store and fruit room, all part of the S side and the 1830s improvements. The whole structure is worthy of listing at Grade II.
Other associated structures include: Carnation display house c 1830s, factory made greenhouses c. 1900, head gardeners house c. 1839 and dairy and attached cottages. The greenhouses do not merit listing, though do belong to the group that falls under the curtilage of the garden. The Head gardeners house and dairy complex merit listing, though are not found in the area under consideration during this report (S1).
The gardens are now completely detached from the Hall.
- <S1> SSF50722 Unpublished document: Aitkins, P.. 2005. Kitchen Gardens, Woolverstone Hall (now known as Doubles Nursery), Woolverstone, Ipswich, Suffolk; Archaeological Record.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2016 10:29AM