Monument record MNL 536 - Phase 2, Rear of Smoke House Inn, Beck Row, Mildenhall (Preh)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6884 7821 (122m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||Beck Row, Holywell Row and Kenny Hill, Forest Heath, Suffolk|
Type and Period (4)
An archaeological excavation carried out on land off of Skeltons Drove, Beck Row, Mildenhall, identified two main phases of activity in the Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age and post-medieval periods. Prehistoric activity, including a scatter of pits and postholes and a 7.5m diameter roundhouse with associated human cremation and possible south-east facing entrance, was seen to focus upon two natural peat-filled hollows within the fen-edge landscape. Recommendations have been made for the site to be considered in any future publication of the adjacent MNL 502, MNL 598 and MNL 618 sites (S1).
- <S2> SSF53788 Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2010. Phase 2, Rear of Smoke House Inn, Beck Row, Mildenhall, MNL 536.
- FSF34980: POTTERY (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF34981: ANIMAL REMAINS (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF34982: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF34983: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF34984: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF34985: CREMATION (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2018 2:08PM