Monument record COM 040 - Webb's Tannery: Combs Tannery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0429 5623 (133m by 152m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Recorded in gazetteer of significant Industrial Archaeological sites extracted from a 1980 booklet entitled 'Industrial Archaeology in and around Norfolk' and revised as 'Suffolk IA Sites in 1980' in Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter in 2011 where it is described as:
Webb's Tannery (TM 053562)[note this NGR is inaccurate]. Most of the 18th C buildings of this established in 1720 have gone, but a number of 19th C buildings remain, including a typical drying shed with louvres to the top floors. In place, but not generally accessible to the public, a complete steam plant of 1851 with a single cylinder grasshopper engine. Sheepskin shop at tannery open Tues - Sat 9.30 - 1.00 and 2 - 5 (S1).
In 2010 John Furlong spoke to the owner, Nic Portway, about cataloguing archives but no action so far.
2011 John Jones asked Bob Malster if the steam engine is still in place, or was it dismantled and put in store by MEAL?
The Tannery House and Bark Store are Listed Buildings.
- <S1> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. Volume 115, November 2011, plus email from John Jones, March 2012..
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 21 2013 4:28PM