Monument record IPS 685 - Pillbox, Ipswich Airport, (IAS 9108).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 196 411 (3m by 4m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Alongside South boundary road to present airfield site, approximately 100 metres to W of 'Halfway House' and S of Priory Lane. Pillbox type 22. 15ins thick walls, partially sunk into ground; entrance facing away from airfield landing zone. Interior blocked by earth mounds, and not possible to access. [Pillbox is situated on private land; ownership not known at time of survey].
Ipswich Airport, South East of Ipswich at the side of a track/road to Alnesbourn Priory. Type 22 pillbox. It has an extra vertical embrasure in one face next to the usual embrasure. The pillbox is sunk low in the ground with the bottom of the embrasures ten inches above the ground surface. There is the remains of an 'L'-shaped entrance wall; no internal anti-ricochet wall. The pillbox is filled with rubbish. With PLAN drawn on the form, providing measurements.
A type 22 pillbox associated with Ipswich Airport's World War Two defences. It is situated off a track leading to Alnesbourn Priory (This is to the south-east of the former landing area). It is one of two such pillboxes at this location (see TM 14 SE 335 for details of the other pillbox). The pillbox was probably built between 1940 and 1941. The pillbox is constructed using reinforced concrete and features both vertical and horizontal embrasures and an external "L"-shaped blast wall which protects the entrance. Although in fair condition in 1995, because of subsequent development of the former Airport site the pillbox may no longer be extant (S3)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 1 2016 10:17AM