Monument record BOY 008 - Round Barrow, Tangham Forest
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3530 4680 (55m by 48m)|
|Civil Parish||BOYTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1970: A flat-topped barrow, 4 feet high, 18 paces diameter. It lies on former heathland but is now under pines planted by the Forestry Commission. When they are felled the barrow should be left unplanted. Probably Bronze Age as its size and situation is similar to other isolated E Suffolk barrows (S1).
1977: Barrow in coniferous woodland, circa 100 yards from road. 1.19m high, 15m diameter, very good condition, covered with bracken and fir trees (S2).
1981: As described in Forestry Commission, planted with pines and covered with bracken (S1).
1985: Trees on mound in surrounding area felled (in 1981 according to Mr James, Forest District Manager). Surrounding area ploughed and re-planted with conifers. Plough-furrows run over mound, although this is not re- planted. It is covered by bracken and the stumps of felled trees. No sign of ditch (S1).
Close to BOY 012.
October 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The mound described above is visible on aerial photographs (S4)-(S7), and survives as an earthwork on Lidar imagery (S8). Its location differs slightly from the former monument polygon and scheduled area, perhaps since it has been mapped from the more accurate Lidar imagery.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th October 2015.
- <M1> SSF46131 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF18227 (No record type): SAU Martin E, Barrow Survey, 1977.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM34NE7.
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap96 32 100-101 25-OCT-1995 (Print).
- <S5> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. NMR 21831/25 19-OCT-2002 (EHA Original Print).
- <S6> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. NMR 21847/11 19-OCT-2002 (EHA Original Print).
- <S7> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Area 51 JUN-1999 (Digital).
- <S8> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM3546 Environment Agency 2m DTM 30-NOV-2010.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13969)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13874)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13262)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13661)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34NE. Mapping Block 3: Capel St Andrew to HLY. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23316)) (ESF23316)
Record last edited
Jun 10 2019 4:39PM