Monument record BSE 384 - Late medieval deposits and building evidence, 29-31 Southgate Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8590 6363 (10m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Evaluation identified a sequence of undisturbed deposits dating from the late medieval to post-medieval periods, overlying a deep sequence of alluvial deposits, includiing c. 6m of peaty material. A sequence of metalled consolidation surfaces spanning the late medieval to early post-medieval were encountered, together with ephemeral evidence for early industrial activity. Evdience for the earliest building on the site may date from the 16th century, comprising flint and mortar foundations, with an internal mortar floor and metaled yard to the rear. This was followed by a 17th/18th century house with floor of reused medieval bricks on the same footprint, which was rebuilt in the 19th century (S1).
- --- SSF55761 Unpublished document: Emery, G.. 2012. An Archaeological Evaluation Report, Nos.29 to 31 Southgate Street, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
- FSF36111: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF36112: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36113: CAME (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36114: NET SINKER (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36115: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36116: BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36117: COIN (13th century - 1200 AD to 1299 AD)
- FSF48128: POTTERY (15th century to 20th century - 1400 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF48129: ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48130: BUTTON (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF48131: OYSTER SHELL (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2018 4:09PM