Building record ONW 023 - Barn at Burnham Cottage
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0537 6246 (15m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD NEWTON WITH DAGWORTH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Burnham Cottage is a grade II-listed open-hall house of the mid-15th century which contains a fine crown-post open truss and lies to the south of Church Road in what appears to be the remains of a medieval moat. The barn is an early-17th century timber-framed structure in three bays which adjoins the road at the entrance to the site, facing south towards the service gable of the cottage, and may overlie the infilled northern side of the moat. By the time of the tithe survey in 1839 the property contained only 2.5 acres and belonged to the neighbouring farm on the west, but it was probably designed as a small farm in its own right. The adjoining field was known as Burman's Piece, suggesting the present name is ancient.
The barn's roof was replaced during the 20th C and vehicle doors were also inserted, however the frame remains exceptionally complete and includes unusual pairs of tension braces in its outer bays. A number of the timbers are re-used from a 16th C structure. The central baycontained a threshing floor, whilst the eastern end of the barn was used as a stable with a hay loft above and in the 19th C a clay lump shed was addded as a lean-to at the western end (S1).
- <S1> SSF54537 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2009. Historic Building Record: Barn at Burnham Cottage, Old Newton, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2012 3:23PM