Building record PSM 036 - Old Thatches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9410 5134 (20m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||PRESTON ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Old Thatches has been derelict since its roof and sections of its roof-plate were destroyed in 2006 by a thatch fire. Despite this the original timber-framed walls and ceilings of the listed property remained largely intact. The building consisted of two structures which adjoined each other to form an L-shaped house. The two wings can be interpreted as a single domestic house of the early-17th century which consisted of a 'new' hall with a contemporary parlour to the north and a service or dairy range to the west that had been retained from the earlier house on the site. Many individual timbers in the eastern wing had been re-used from an older structure. The layout of the 17th century house, with an apparent cross-passage passing immediately in front of the hall fireplace, was highly unusual. It illustrates a rare transitional form and was one of only four or five known examples in East Anglia.
The house was subsequently divided into three cottages as shown on the 1904 Ordnance Survey, and contained two secondary chimneys in addition to its 17th century original (the latter altered by the insertion of a bread oven in the 19th century). This sub-division was corroborated by evidence of at least four secondary external doors, all of which had been blocked during the 20th century. The Ordnance Survey and the Preston 1838 tithe map show two further detached cottages in the present garden to the east of the house, but no trace of these survives above ground (S1).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2012 3:02PM