Monument record BUR 035 - Undated feature, Nan Hazel Lodge, Burgate, Suffolk
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0637 7400 (4m by 5m)|
|Civil Parish||BURGATE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2012: Monitoring revealed a large irregular pit full of charcoal and other burnt material. A small assemblage of pottery of Roman and medieval date and animal bone was also recovered. A small collection of locally produced Roman pottery was also recovered from the base of the former ploughsoil across the site. The pottery recovered from the fill of the pit suggests that it was opened and backfilled either during the medieval period or later. The burnt material appears to have come from a structure, although there was no evidence on the site to suggest where that structure may have been located (S1).
- <S1> SSF55036 Unpublished document: Page, N. and Bown, J.. 2012. Archaeological Watching Brief, Nan Hazel Lodge, Burgate, Suffolk.
- FSF37970: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF37971: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF37972: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF46572: DAUB (Late Iron Age to Medieval - 100 BC to 1539 AD)
- FSF46573: BUTCHERED ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2018 11:52AM