Monument record BSC 004 - Pitcher's Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 915 584 (100m by 114m)|
|Civil Parish||BRADFIELD ST CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rectangular moat, 2 sides surviving - the NW and SW (S1). Occupied by modern house (S2).
Isolated, 200m from parish boundary, 800m from church.
Thedwastre Hundred Pitchers Green moated site: not mentioned in Copinger (Vol VI 254, 261), which states that TRE one manor in Bradfield was held by the Abbot, with lands held in another of the manors. What the names of these manors were is not clear in Domesday Book. Copinger lists the manors, as they are later named, as Bradfield Combust/Roos Manor, Sutton Hall, Bradfield St Clare manor. 1844 White's Directory: the Green seems to be called 'Petches Green' (S3).
Stray find by Sergeant Woodrow in 1981 on Colonel Armitage's land in vegetable garden TL 9151 5838. Sent to BM for identification who photographed it, took impression and offered to buy 1981.
The seal die is bronze which has been gilded. It is in the shape of a pointed oval and measures 48mm high and 28mm across. In the centre under an architectural canopy is a figure of an Archbishop, beneath which there is a praying kneeling figure. The legend around the central inscription reads SIG GARDIANI FRUM MINORU CANTUARIE. This inscription is in Latin which has been abbreviated. Extended it would read Sigillum gardiani fratrum minorum cantuarie which translated means The seal of the warden of the friars minor of Canterbury; (The friars minor or Franciscan (Grey) friars of Canterbury). The house was established in 1224, moved to another site in Canterbury in circa 1268, prospered in the C14, was transferred to the Observant friars in 1489 and was suppressed in 1538. The figure of the archbishop represents almost certainly St Thomas a Becket and the kneeling figure is the warden. I would suggest that the seal probably dates from the first half of C14 (S4).
- <S1> SSF19052 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D ?, sketch plan, 1975.
- <R1> SSF4116 (No record type): Copinger, Manors of Suffolk, 6, 254-261.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Planning application St Edmundsbury DC 75/1865/P, plans and.
- <S2> SSF16421 (No record type): Planning application St Edmundsbury District Council 75/1865/P, 1975.
- <R2> SSF23128 (No record type): White, Directory, 1844.
- <M2> SSF37593 (No record type): correspondence; sketch plan (RDC 1975?); copy of (S4) above; impression of.
- <S3> SSF20061 (No record type): SAU, note in parish file, no author given, undated.
- <M3> SSF37594 (No record type): seal.
- <S4> SSF1290 (No record type): BM Dept of Med and Later Antiq, letter from John Cherry, 1981.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 18 2014 3:49PM