Monument record BSE 276 - Remains of medieval wall and 19thC graves, St James' Cathedral
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 856 641 (15m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2006: Excavation was conducted in the north and south transepts of St James' Cathedral. Two trenches identified the remains of the east wall of the medieval predeccessor of the current church. Three 19th century brick-lined graves/vaults were also identified, two in the south transept and one in the north. No inhumations were fully excavated, though any disarticulated human remains were recovered and then reburied (S1).
- <S1> SSF58124 Unpublished document: Duffy, J. and Antrobus, A.. 2010. Archaeological Excavations, 2006, Heating Ducts, St James' Cathedral, Bury St Edmunds.
- FSF46075: POTTERY (13th century to 15th century - 1200 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF46076: POTTERY (17th century to 20th century - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF46077: BRICK (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF46078: ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46079: FLOOR TILE (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF46080: COFFIN FITTING (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF46081: WINDOW GLASS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46082: BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46083: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF46084: OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
- FSF46085: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF46086: HUMAN REMAINS (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2017 3:19PM