Monument record FSF 008 - Fressingfield Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 266 776 (59m by 85m)|
|Civil Parish||FRESSINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat. Fragments of small, probably square enclosure. Isolated but close to village, 600 yards NE of church. Moat is a shallow U-shaped stretch of water on the S side of the house. The W arm was probably unfilled when the present house was built. The house is a long timber-framed structure of circa 1650. Parlour wing at the E end with a small stair wing next to it (as at Ufford Hall - see FSF 002), two-storeyed porch in the middle of the N side, service wing at the W end has been partially rebuilt. Fine panelling of circa 1700 in the parlour, with a painted panel showing the church and house on the overmantel. Two large brick chimneys with arched panels, each with six flues. House belonged to William Grudgefield, d.1666. In 1674 a Mr Batteley had 13 hearths in Fressingfield - probably here (S1)(S2).
There is a map of the farm, including an elevation drawing of the house, made by Thomas Folkard for Sir Thomas Hanmer (owner of the Whittingham Hall estate see FSF 007) in 1722, Mr Ionathan Browning being the then occupier (S3).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2009 5:10PM