Monument record LUD 026 - Lound Windmill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TG 498 005 (15m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||LOUND, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
- (Former Type) WINDMILL (19th century to Mid 20th century - 1837 AD to 1961 AD)
- (Former Type) TOWER MILL (19th century to Mid 20th century - 1837 AD to 1961 AD)
- (Former Type) CORN MILL (19th century to Mid 20th century - 1837 AD to 1961 AD)
- (Former Type) HOUSE (Mid 20th century to 21st century - 1961 AD to 2050 AD)
Four storey tower mill, built by Robert Martin in 1837. It ceased work in 1939 and was converted into a house in 1961 when most of the machinery was removed and scrapped. There were four patent sails, a boat-shaped cap with fantail and gallery, and three pairs of stones (S1). A post mill with roundhouse stood on the same site previously and is recorded on a map dating to 1736 (S2). Visible on the 1st edition OS map c.1880 (S3)
Recorded by NRIM, photos available. (S4) Information derived from NRHE to HER prototype website.
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S2> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SSF56643 Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. Recorded by MJ Barnard, 15-Jun-1972, Record No.268436.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2020 12:00PM