Monument record IPS 751 - Labour Club, 33-35 Silent Street, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1629 4439 (18m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2014: Ipswich, Labour Club and Institute, 33-35 Silent Street (IPS 751, TM 1630 4440) following the removal of the existing function room, which was a re-used WW I army structure that will re-erected at a military heritage site at Hawstead, monitoring of ground works for a new function room did not reveal any archaeological features. However the monitoring did confirm the presence of a substantial depth of overburden in this part of the historic town with a small number 16th-18th century pottery sherds being recovered to the full depth of the piling mat at 1400mm below the current ground level suggesting the deliberate importation of material to the raise local ground level. Ground works did not go below this level though an earlier borehole indicates a total depth of overburden of 2.70m. A few late Saxon and medieval pottery sherds were also recovered as residual finds (S1).
- <S1> SSF55850 Unpublished document: Newman J. 2014. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Labour Club, 33-35 Silent Street, Ipswich, Suffolk.
- FSF38926: POTTERY (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF38927: POTTERY (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF38928: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF44496: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (12th century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
- FSF44497: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF44498: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 15 2016 11:43AM