Building record BRD 234 - The Engine House

Please read our .

Summary

Engine House between 1883 and 1905, a house built after 1905 and an undated building of unknown purpose.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 7868 8501 (45m by 22m)
Map sheet TL78NE
Civil Parish BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

The larger of the two buildings, known as the Engine House, comprises of a single storey structure built of chalk blocks faced in flint with limited decoration in ‘white’ brick. The structure was rectangular with a single apex roof covered with corrugated metal sheeting. One of the inner chambers contains a deep well with in-situ pumping equipment that was actuated by rods and a crank driven via geared wheels, drive shafts and belts, many of which are in place. A second chamber housed a workshop and contains a pair of substantial workbenches along one of the wall. Map evidence indicates that the building was constructed between 1883 and 1905. The second building, known as The Bothy, stands to the north east. The building was rectangular with a lean-to and a small extension to the rear. The walls are built of fletton bricks although the southwest wall. The roof is covered with slate with a tiled ridge. This building was constructed after 1905 and the presence of a bathroom suggests the building was used for domestic occupation. A third building was recorded, although its date and purpose is unknown (S1).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2015. Brandon Park Engine House, Brandon, Suffolk: Historic Building Record.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 11 2016 9:05AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.