Monument record ACT 001 - Large irregular enclosure with a central ring ditch & a subsidiary enclosure to the east.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 892 480 (411m by 218m)|
|Civil Parish||ACTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Large irregular enclosure with double circle at E end, 200 yards long (S1).
TL 892 480: Cropmarks of an enclosure, similar to that of a `banjo' enclosure, with a small circular feature adjoining to the E, possibly of IA- Romano British date, seen on air photograph (CUCAP HC 026), N of Acton. The cropmark lies on a high W facing slope under winter crop. Perambulation of the area produced no finds or surface evidence and the landowner (Sir Richard Hyde Parker) has no knowledge of the site. Visual interpretation of the air photograph would suggest a pastoral enclosure for the main work, perhaps IA/Rom, but the circular cropmarks look too large for huts (S2).
The cropmark photograph CUCAP HC 026 seems to show a large irregular enclosure with a central ring ditch, circa 25m diameter, and a subsidiary enclosure to the E also with a central circular feature. The total length is about 160m (S3).
- <S1> SSF18208 (No record type): SAU (West S E), undated.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP HC 026, BFE 038.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL84NE35.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP, HC 026, BFE 038, Aug 1951 & 1971.
- <S4> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 9 2018 2:13PM