Monument record BSG 001 - Hall Farm

Please read our .


One wet arm only, circa 50m long by 7m wide.


Grid reference Centred TL 9076 5989 (75m by 70m)
Map sheet TL95NW


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

One wet arm only, circa 50m long by 7m wide. At W end it turns N and merges into a drainage ditch. Pasture area shows disturbed ground on the island. Adjoins churchyard to the E.

Possible manor site. St George/Monks Bradfield.
1066/86 Manor belonged to Abbot of St Edmunds, 3 carucates, valued at £8. Abbot owned by grant of Earl Ulfkettel and Bishop Alfric.
1540 Linked to WFG, PSM, HGW, RBK, RGH, BRC, (Sir T. Jermyn) becoming absorbed by St Clare under Davers family, annexed to Rushbrooke. (S2)

BSG 001 most likely site due to remains of moat, and central location near church. (S2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk Little Guides, 1957, 79.
  • <S2> Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: St George.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Apr 11 2019 7:31AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.