Monument record WLW 107 - 16th century pond at Sunnyside House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0202 7138 (52m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||WALSHAM-LE-WILLOWS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
2015: Archaeological monitoring revealed that the pond formerly was extended behind the house. The finds suggest that it was excavated in the 16th century and the extended section was open until it was backfilled between 1819 and 1839. It is possible that the pond is a surviving remnant of a large moat, although it is more likely that it was excavated at the same time that the house was constructed and its original purpose may have been for mineral extraction associated with the development. Several fragments of flint debitage were identified in the topsoil, and likely was transported at least a short distance by natural soil movement down the hill, suggesting prehistoric activity in the immediate area (S1).
- <S1> SSF56948 Unpublished document: Adams, M.. 2016. Sunnyside House, Walsham-Le-Willows, Suffolk: Archaeological Monitoring Phase II.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2016 2:17PM