Monument record WRW 065 - Circular earthwork with hollow centre (BACKLOG)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8266 7313 (15m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- HOLLOW (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- HOLLOW (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- HOLLOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HOLLOW (Unknown date)
- EXTRACTIVE PIT? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILITARY SITE? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- MILITARY TRAINING SITE? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
September 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A possible circular earthwork bank with a hollow in the centre, of an unknown date, is seen on visualised lidar data (S1). The function and date of the feature is unknown; however, the earthworks could relate to a modern forestry feature, a natural feature, a small area of post medieval extraction or a Second World War military feature possibly associated with Culford/Wordwell camp to the east (SHER WRW 032). An extent of area has been used to map the earthworks as the feature appears very low on the visualised lidar data and the feature may be modern or natural in origin. The monument polygon has been amended to correlate with the location of the feature from the lidar data.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 11th September 2019.
- <S1> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2020 10:04AM