Monument record TYN 029 - Partially excavated Early Bronze Age ring ditch just to the south of the A14 in Trimley St Martin parish.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2543 3920 (35m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Ring ditch circa 30m diameter with a field boundary respecting it; probably striking it at a tangent, but may originate from it, boundary meets linear feature/s (Stratton Hall 004/005) at right angles.
1997: Excavation of part of EBA ring ditch following 10m wide topsoil strip by Anglian Water. Three sections through ring ditch confirmed EBA date but located `IA' material in upper fill. Also pit and row of posts was found on the interior of ring ditch. (S2).
A single radiocarbon date from one of the postholes gave a date of 550 (plus or minus 60) BC (S3).
The remains of the Early Bronze Age round barrow as described above are visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, centred on TM 25433920 just to the south of the A14 in Trimley St Martin parish. The substantial ring ditch encloses an area of 24.5m in diameter and is located just to the north of a possible trackway running from east to west. NB NGR changed from TM 25423920, though the source of this NGR is unclear and could be more accurate than the aerial survey plot. (S1) (S4) (S5)
- --- SXS50129 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 1995. A14 Seven Hills To Trimley Improvement, Suffolk: Aerial Photographic Assessment.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BUZ51) 24-JUL-1975.
- <S2> SSF51322 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 1998. Trimley St Martin. Record of an Archaeological Excavation and Monitoring.
- <S3> SSF22302 (No record type): University of Waikato Radiocarbon Dating Laboratory (Hogg A), Report, November 1997.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXI5) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2539/1 (956/313) 07-JUN-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2011 5:46PM