Building record IPS 826 - Friends meeting house, Fonnereau Road, Ipswich.

Please read our .


Converted house used as a Friends meeting house since 1936. The house was built c.1860. For the now demolished former Ipswich Friends meeting house see IPS 827.


Grid reference Centred TM 1632 4494 (22m by 27m)
Map sheet TM14SE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

The building was adapted to be used as a Friends meeting house during the 1930s as a replacement for a meeting house built in Ipswich in 1700. It was previously a house prior to its conversion. The house is a red brick classical villa of c.1860. The meeting room, situated to the rear of the property was added c.1935. The only surviving feature from the original meeting house is a bench that appears to have been moved to the new building. This meeting house does not have an attached burial ground unlike other examples from Suffolk as the burial ground was situated in a separate cemetery (S1).

For the now demolished former Friends meeting house see IPS 827.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Derrick, A. 2014. Quaker meeting house, Ipswich: Historic Building Record.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 20 2016 11:18AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.