Monument record FXL 013 - Prehistoric field system, house, pit, hut circle, round house, square enclosure, builidng
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2354 4362 (455m by 289m)|
|Civil Parish||FOXHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- SQUARE ENCLOSURE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Unknown date)
- HUT CIRCLE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- PIT (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- HOUSE (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- BUILDING (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD (at some time))
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
Sub-square enclosure(Middle Iron Age?), enclosing (Middle Iron Age?) roundhouse. Also field system (S1). For excavation summarys see (S3).
A rectangular ditched enclosure of probable Iron Age date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, circa 550 metres to the east of Foxhall Hall, at circa TM235436, Foxhall parish. The ditch is between 2 and 5 metres wide, defining an area of circa 2800 square metres in an enclosure measuring circa 60 metres by 50 metres. It may be of similar date to the extensive cropmark field system to the west of Foxhall Hall, and associated with a possible enclosure, partially visible to the north-east (see FXL 031 and FXL 043) (S4-S6).
Excavations dated enclosure and roundhouse to Iron Age.
Also Saxon building and Grooved ware pit. No post-excavation work done, full publication awaited (no funding!).
Rectangular enclosure mentioned in S7 & S8.
- <S1> SSF18329 (No record type): SAU, AP ACX 05.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: ACX 5; CUCAP CJB 60, 61.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs CJB 60, CJB 61.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. 'Archaeology in Suffolk 1991', PSIA, 37 (4), 1992, 384-386, plan.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/66189 180-1 23-JUL-1966.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2343/3 22-JUN-1976.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2343/6/215 (SF1658) 21-JUL-1979.
- <S7> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S8> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2020 10:15AM