Monument record COG 005 - Possible double ring ditch of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8865 3964 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT CORNARD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Possible double ring ditch, inner circle circa 15-20m diameter, outer ditch much fainter and only partly visible.
Adjacent ring ditch COG 004 (S1).
June 2000: The desk top assessment of the Bures Road, Great Cornard site confirms the high archaeological potential of the former rugby ground as the known ring ditches may survive as low mounds indicating well preserved deposits below ground. Over the rest of the preposed development ares there is some potential for achaeological deposits on the southern and western edges but the central land parcel has been largely truncated by mineral workings (S2 S3).
2009: Geophysical survey located the ring ditch and internal features (S4).
2009: Partially excavated - see COG 030.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BZK 70.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BZK 70.
- <S2> SSF60612 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 2000. Archaeological Assessment Report: Bures Road, Great Cornard.
- <S3> SSF54699 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 2000. Aerial Photographic Interpretation, Great Cornard, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF54737 Unpublished document: Tanner J. 2009. Geophysical Survey Report, Rugby Ground, Great Cornard, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2022 4:20PM