Building record LVM 115 - Dyers Hall, 95 High Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9153 4925 (16m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||LAVENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A 15th/16th century two-storey timber-framed and rendered house with an attic and cellar. The current Georgian façade is 18th century. The west elevation has a double window range of double hung sliding sashes with glazing bars, the ground floor has a splayed bay to the north. The principle entrance 6-panel door has moulded architrave and a flat hood on brackets, leading from the pavement by a flight of stairs with iron handrails ad balusters. The roof covering is plain clay tiles and the attic spac has two cat slide dormer windows with sliding sashes. The east elevation is also finished in painted render and contain a mix of casemetn and mullion windows, some with leaded lights. Again the roof is clad with plain tiles, with a single cat slide dormer window facing east. There is also a single storey slate roofed lean-to extention adjacent to the cellar entrance. Connected to the cloth production takingplace at that time (S1).
Dyers Hall is a grade II-listed timber-framed and rendered house adjoining the Greyhound Inn in Lavenham High Street. The street range of the property can be dated on internal evidence to the mid-17th century while the rear wing survives from the town’s clothmanufacturing heyday of circa 1500. The 17th century phase of construction corresponds to the tea-room, entrance passage and front kitchen on the accompanying ground plan of 1978 (when the building housed a tea shop), while the late medieval range forms the back kitchen. The property was almost certainly built as part of the adjoining Greyhound Inn (96 High Street), although the date of the inn’s establishment is uncertain and it may well represent the conversion of a large merchant’s house. The 17th century roof of the street range extends over the inn’s gateway, which dates from the late-14th or early-15th century, and both nos. 95 and 96 were depicted as a single property on the Lavenham tithe map of 1842 (S2).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 7 2020 3:35PM